Seven of my favourite free weight workouts for ladies in a strong, 45 minute pyramid exercise! A full physique dumbbell exercise that can check your energy and endurance.
I’m all about energy coaching at residence with a set of dumbbells or free weights.
You don’t want fancy gymnasium gear to construct energy and lift your coronary heart fee. One of my favourite exercise codecs for complete physique energy coaching that additionally builds endurance is pyramid exercises!
Our earlier pyramids are thought of among the most difficult exercises on the weblog. The “stack-on” format is a real psychological and bodily problem – which might be why they’re a few of your favorites!
If you like a problem, you need to strive these 7 Best Free Weight Exercises. These dumbbell workouts make one KILLER 45-minute complete physique dumbbell exercise.
Download Our Free Strength Training Workout Plan
Our hottest exercise program! A FREE full physique split-training program at residence, designed to construct muscle in 35 minutes a day. All you need to do is press play!
Free Weight Exercises FAQs
A free weight is any type of weight that isn’t hooked up to an equipment (assume lifting weights, dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells). Most generally once we seek advice from “free weight exercises,” we’re speaking about dumbbell workouts. Some of my favourite dumbbell workouts embrace: squats, lunges, shoulder presses, bicep curls, tricep extensions and again rows.
Dumbbells are a fantastic piece of kit in your residence exercises! As talked about above, there are plenty of workouts you are able to do with only a set of dumbbells. Free weights are versatile and the right piece of kit for any residence gymnasium. Dumbbell coaching could be tailored for rookies to superior health lovers (decide up heavier weights for a harder exercise)! Dumbbell energy coaching builds lean muscle, will increase bone density and improves hormone well being.
According to The American Council on Exercise, free weights have a bonus over weight machines discovered on the gymnasium. Dumbbells mimic pure motion patterns and require you to have interaction stabilizing muscle tissue in your core. While a machine will full the transfer it’s been designed for, the workouts you are able to do with a free weight are infinite.
45-Minute Pyramid Workout: Full Body Dumbbell Workout For Women
This pyramid exercise contains 7 of my favourite full physique dumbbell workouts, however you may determine if you wish to make this exercise strength-focused or endurance-focused.
If you need to construct energy… use heavy weights and transfer slower, emphasizing correct type.
If you need to check muscular and cardio endurance… use lighter weights and transfer at a quicker tempo.
Medium-to-heavy pair of dumbbells.
I recommend 8-20 lb dumbbells. I’m utilizing 12 and 15 lb dumbbells for this exercise video.
Shop My Extra-Large Yoga Mat
DISCOUNT CODE: NourishMoveLove
Click Here To Shop
Follow together with the guided Intense Pyramid Workout on YouTube, led by licensed private coach, Lindsey Bomgren.
Your Workout Looks Like This:
- 7 Full Body Exercises
- Timed Intervals (30 seconds of labor, 30 seconds relaxation; full as many repetitions as you may within the timed interval)
- Pyramid Format (we’ll add on strikes as we work “up” the pyramid, after which drop off strikes as we work our means again “down” the pyramid)
A Pyramid Format Looks Like This:
- Set 1: Perform transfer 1 for 30 seconds (as many reps as you may), adopted by 30 seconds of relaxation.
- Set 2: Perform transfer 1 for 30 seconds after which transfer 2 for 30 seconds, adopted by 30 seconds of relaxation.
- Set 3: Perform transfer 1 for 30 seconds, after which transfer 2 for 30 seconds, after which transfer 3 for 30 seconds, adopted by 30 seconds of relaxation.
Continue this stack-on, pyramid format till you full strikes 1 by 7. Then you could have the choice to return down the pyramid in reverse order, dropping off transfer 1, then transfer 2, then transfer 3 and so forth.
Trainer Tip: Pyramid exercises are difficult exams of endurance. Follow together with the exercise modifier for choices to scale every transfer, or lower the weights as you begin to fatigue.
- Clean and Press
- 2-Pulse Squat and a pair of Press Jacks
- Reverse Lunge and Bicep Curl and Upright Row
- Alternating Lunge Drops
- Push Up and Dumbbell Pass
- Lateral Lunge and Balance Press
- Glute Bridge and Tricep Skull Crusher
7 Best Free Weight Exercises for Women
Clean and Overhead Press
Targets: Glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings, calves, shoulders, traps, center and decrease again and abdominals.
How To Do A Clean And Press
- Start standing, toes shoulder-width aside, slight bend within the knees. Hold one dumbbell in every hand at your sides (palms dealing with in).
- With a slight bend in your knees, hinge your hips again and energy by your hamstrings and glutes to “swing” the dumbbells as much as shoulder top. Your heels will pop up off the bottom as you end the “clean” movement.
- Then, press the dumbbells overhead, locking out the elbows with arms straight overhead.
- Return the dumbbells to shoulder top, then decrease them again all the way down to your sides and repeat the motion.
2-Pulse Squat And 2 Press Jacks
Targets: Glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings and shoulders.
How To Do A 2-Pulse Squat And Press Jack
- Start standing, toes shoulder-width aside, slight bend within the knees. Hold one dumbbell horizontally at your chest.
- Sit your hips again as you decrease right into a squat, striving for a 90-degree angle between your hips and knees.
- At the underside of your squat, pulse up and down for a two-count. Aim to remain as low in your squat as doable throughout the squat pulse.
- Then “jack” each legs out as you press the dumbbell overhead.
- Then “jack” your toes again collectively and return the dumbbell to your chest. Repeat for a second press jack, then return to the beginning place and repeat the 2-pulse squat.
Modification: Option to make this a low-impact train by tapping your toes out as a substitute of jacking them out.
Reverse Lunge And Bicep Curl And Upright Row
Targets: Legs, butt, quads, hamstrings, biceps and higher again of the arms.
How To Do A Reverse Lunge And Bicep Curl And Upright Row
- Start standing, toes shoulder-width aside, knees barely bent. Hold one dumbbell in every hand at your sides (palms dealing with in).
- Step your proper leg again right into a reverse lunge, decreasing your hips till each knees attain a 90-degree angle, entrance thigh parallel to the bottom.
- Hold this lunge place as you rotate the palms to face away from the physique and carry out a bicep curl, curling the weights as much as shoulder top. Hold on the high for a second, then decrease the dumbbells again down with management.
- Then squeeze your left leg glute, driving your again, proper leg ahead as you rise up again to the beginning place.
- As you stand tall, rotate the palms to face the physique and carry out an upright row by pulling the dumbbells as much as shoulder top. Hold on the high for a second, then decrease the dumbbells again down with management.
- Repeat, alternating the leg that steps again right into a reverse lunge.
Modification: If lunges don’t really feel good in your knees, substitute a fundamental squat.
Alternating Lunge Drops
Targets: Legs, glutes, quads, hips, hamstrings, calves and core.
How To Do Alternating Lunge Drops
- Start standing toes hip-distance aside, slight bend in your knees and core engaged. Hold one dumbbell horizontally at your chest.
- Jump your proper foot again right into a reverse lunge, aiming for 90-degree angles in every knee.
- Then, carry out a “lunge jump” by exploding up from the cut up lunge place, bringing each toes collectively as you stand tall.
- This is one rep. Repeat, alternating the foot that “drops” or jumps again right into a reverse lunge place.
Modification: Option to make this a body weight train. You could make this low influence by alternating a step again reverse lunge (omitting the soar).
Push Up And Dumbbell Pass
Targets: Upper physique — chest, shoulders, triceps, obliques and abdominals.
How To Do A Push Up And Dumbbell Pass
- Start in a excessive plank place, shoulders over wrists, core engaged. Place a dumbbell exterior your proper hand.
- Perform a push up. Elbows fall again in the direction of your physique as you decrease your chest in the direction of the bottom. Press again as much as excessive plank.
- Engage your core, then attain your left hand beneath your physique to seize the dumbbell and pull it by to the left facet. Place the dumbbell on the mat simply exterior the place you’ll plant your left hand once you return to excessive plank.
- Repeat the push up, then change sides, pulling the dumbbell again to the appropriate with the appropriate hand. Repeat this sample.
Modification: Option to carry out the push ups out of your knees, popping to your toes for the dumbbell cross.
Lateral Lunge And Balance Press
Targets: Inner thigh muscle tissue along with the glutes, hamstrings, and quads. Adding the steadiness press works the shoulder muscle tissue and core and decrease abs.
How To Do A Lateral Lunge And Balance Press
- Start standing, toes hip-width aside, barely bent knees. Hold one dumbbell in your left hand.
- Step your proper leg out to the facet as you push your hips again, bending your proper knee whereas leaving your left leg straight. Think of performing a single leg squat along with your proper leg whereas your left leg stays straight. Dumbbell stays inside the appropriate foot with knees and toes pointing ahead.
- Then, drive off your proper foot to reverse the motion, pushing again to heart.
- At the highest, carry out a steadiness press by pulling the appropriate knee as much as steadiness on the left leg. Send the dumbbell in your left hand overhead, locking out the elbow.
- With management, decrease the dumbbell down as you decrease your proper leg to the mat and repeat the sequence.
Modification: Option to omit the steadiness press and carry out a single arm shoulder press with each toes on the bottom.
Glute Bridge And Skull Crusher
Targets: Glutes, hamstrings, decrease again, shoulders and triceps.
How To Do A Glute Bride And Skull Crusher
- Lie flat in your again along with your legs bent at 90 levels (heels on the bottom).
- Holding one dumbbell in every hand, absolutely prolong your arms so the dumbbells are immediately overhead, palms dealing with each other.
- Bending on the elbows slowly decrease the dumbbells in the direction of your head (simply bending on the elbows).
- Then as you push the dumbbells again overhead to return to the beginning place, concurrently drive by your heels, squeezing your butt to elevate your hips up towards the ceiling. Keep knees in keeping with hips.
- Hold on the high for a second, then decrease your hips with management again all the way down to a hover place, as you decrease the dumbbells again in the direction of your head.
Modification: Perform the tricep extensions utilizing one dumbbell; holding the dumbbell horizontally.
Pin these 7 Free Weight Exercises for Women
This put up contains affiliate hyperlinks. I do earn a fee for merchandise bought utilizing these hyperlinks (at no further price to you). Thank you for supporting Nourish Move Love, making the content material you see on this weblog doable.