Lower Body Workouts
The finest hamstring workouts to strengthen your legs. Deadlifts, modified hip thrusts, hamstring curls and swings – these are the 5 finest dumbbell hamstring workouts at house or on the fitness center. Add these workouts to your subsequent leg day, or full this 10-Minute Hamstring Workout as a fast burn by itself.
When it involves the legs, the glutes are inclined to get a lot of the focus. But there’s one other essential (and sometimes ignored) muscle group that's equally essential: the hamstrings.
Enter in the present day’s exercise: the 5 finest hamstring workouts at house. Use it as a finisher to your leg day exercise or as a fast and environment friendly leg exercise by itself.
Grab your heavy dumbbells – the hamstrings are huge, highly effective muscular tissues and an important place to strive growing your weights. This is a naturally low influence exercise that's ALL power coaching, centered on the muscular tissues at the back of the legs.
Your hamstrings are a key a part of useful each day motion, helping with duties like bending your knees and increasing your hips.
The hamstrings and glutes additionally work collectively so as to add explosive energy to your exercises. That means coaching your hamstrings is particularly essential for runners and HIIT-lovers.
Download Our Free Strength Training Workout Plan
Our hottest exercise program! A FREE full physique split-training program at house, designed to construct muscle in 35 minutes a day. All you must do is press play!
Hamstring Exercises FAQs
End your leg day with hamstring isolation workouts (like those on this exercise) to construct definition and power at the back of your legs.
The finest hamstring workouts embrace deadlifts, good mornings, hip thrusts, dumbbell or kettlebell swings, and hamstring curls. These workouts strengthen the hamstring muscular tissues from a number of angles.
The hamstrings’ most elementary perform is hip extension and knee flexion. The hamstrings are very important for energy strikes, equivalent to sprints or jumps. Strong hamstrings will let you speed up and add explosive energy to your actions.
The semitendinosus, semimembranosus, and biceps femoris muscular tissues make up the hamstring muscle group. The hamstring muscular tissues run alongside the backs of your legs, from the hip to simply under the knee.
5 Hamstring Exercises At Home
Build definition at the back of the legs with this fast and efficient Hamstring Workout: the BEST hamstring workouts!
A centered hamstring exercise designed to strengthen the hamstrings and add energy to your each day actions.
Add this hamstring burnout to your house exercise plan 1-2 instances per week to construct and preserve power within the decrease physique.
Medium Set of Dumbbells. Option so as to add an train ball for hamstring curls.
I like to recommend between 5-25 lb dumbbells relying in your health stage. We used 10, 15 and 20 lb dumbbells in in the present day’s exercise. Option to drop weights at any time and do that exercise with simply your body weight.
Shop My Exercise Ball
I like including an train ball to hamstring exercises at house to exchange the hamstring curl machine at a fitness center. Under $15 on Amazon!
Click Here To Shop
Follow together with the guided Hamstring Workout on YouTube, led by licensed private coach, Lindsey Bomgren.
Your Workout Looks Like This:
- 5 Hamstring Exercises
- Timed Intervals (40 seconds of labor, 20 seconds relaxation; full as many repetitions as you may within the timed interval)
- Repeat All 5 Hamstring Exercises x2 Sets
Note: this fast exercise doesn’t embrace a warm-up or settle down. If that is your first motion of the day, heat up with this 5-minute heat up and funky down with this decrease body-focused stretching video.
- Romanian Deadlift (RDL)
- Rear Foot Elevated Single Leg Deadlift
- Staggered Hip Thrust
- Hamstring Curl
- Dumbbell Swings
5 Hamstring Exercises
Romanian Deadlift (RDL)
Targets: the posterior chain muscular tissues, together with the erector spinae, gluteus maximus, hamstrings and adductors.
The distinction between a Romanian Deadlift (RDL) and Conventional Deadlift has to do with the place the weights begin. Romanian Deadlifts start from a standing place and strikes via an “eccentric” or downward vary of movement. Whereas a normal deadlift begins with the weights on the ground and strikes via a “concentric” or upward movement.
How To Do A Romanian Deadlift (RDL)
- Start in a standing place with ft hip-width aside, holding one dumbbell in every hand together with your grip simply outdoors your legs (overhand grip).
- Stand tall with a flat again and impartial backbone. Your shoulders ought to be again and down.
- With knees bent, hinge at your hips. Think of urgent your hips again in direction of the wall behind you, as you decrease the dumbbells down the entrance of your legs. The dumbbells ought to stay in touch together with your legs for the complete vary of movement.
- Once you’ve reached the underside (vary of movement appears to be like totally different for everybody), drive via your heels, squeezing your glutes and hamstrings to push your hips ahead and return to the beginning place.
Rear Foot Elevated Single Leg Deadlift
Targets: Hamstrings, gluteus maximus and core.
Elevating the rear foot shifts the main target extra into the hamstrings. And single leg workouts improve core engagement.
How To Do A Rear Foot Elevated Single Leg Deadlift
- Start standing in entrance of a bench or chair, holding a dumbbell in your left hand. Place your left foot behind you on the bench, shoelaces down.
- Keeping hips sq., press your glutes again in direction of the wall behind you, hinging on the hips and gliding the dumbbell down your entrance leg till you're feeling a stretch alongside the again of your proper leg. Range of movement can be totally different for everybody.
- Exhale as you press via your entrance heel and stand tall, returning to beginning place.
Modification: Perform a staggered deadlift with each ft flat on the ground, ft shoulder width aside. Keep 80% of your weight in your entrance heel and 20% in your again toe.
Staggered Hip Thrust
Targets: Glutes (each the gluteus maximus and gluteus medius), hamstrings and hip adductors.
How To Do A Staggered Hip Thrust
- Sit in entrance of a bench or chair, then relaxation your higher again on a bench. Hold one dumbbell at your hips, resting in your hip bones.
- Start with ft hip width aside, then stagger your ft so your proper leg is barely in entrance of your left foot. Kickstand your entrance proper foot, left heel flat on the bottom. Keep 80% of your weight in your left foot, 20% in your entrance proper heel.
- Press via the heels to raise your hips (or thrust your hips) till your knees, hips and shoulders type a straight line. Squeeze your glutes and preserve your abs drawn in so that you don’t overextend your again throughout the train.
- Hold on the prime of the hip thrust for a second earlier than reducing your hips again to the beginning place with management.
Modification: Perform a protracted staggered glute bridge, laying together with your again on the ground and inserting the heels of your ft out of attain of your finger ideas. Stagger your ft so the appropriate foot is in entrance of the left, most of your weight in your proper heel.
Targets: Glutes (gluteus medius) and hamstrings.
This transfer replaces the leg curl machine you'll discover at a standard fitness center. You can have interaction the identical muscular tissues by performing a hamstring walk-out as nicely (following the modifier).
How To Do A Hamstring Curl
- Lie flat in your again, inserting the backs of your calves and heels on the highest of a stability ball, toes pointing up in direction of the ceiling. Inhale to brace your core, then squeeze your glutes to raise your hips off the bottom.
- Exhale as you slowly pull your heels in in direction of your hips, bending your knees and contracting your hamstrings to maneuver the train ball in direction of your glutes. Toes transfer from pointing in direction of the ceiling to dealing with the other wall (heels flat on the train ball). Focus on maintaining your hips even.
- With management, reverse the motion to roll the ball away out of your physique, lengthening via the backs of your legs. Keep your hips elevated via the complete motion.
Modification: Perform a hamstring walkout from the ground. Start mendacity in your again in a glute bridge positon, heels planted, knees bent at 90 levels, hips lifted off the mat. Slowly “walk” your heels out away out of your physique, feeling a stretch within the backs of your legs. Then stroll them again in, returning to beginning place.
Targets: Glutes, hamstrings, hips, core, and all of the stabilizing muscular tissues in your again and shoulders.
The kettlebell swing is a well-liked glutes and hamstrings train, however can simply be completed with a single dumbbell as nicely. A dynamic train that may construct power and lift your coronary heart charge.
How To Do A Dumbell Swing
- Stand together with your ft wider than shoulder-width aside, holding a single dumbbell vertically between your fingers.
- With a slight bend in your knees and weight in your heels, ‘hike’ the dumbbell again between your legs to start out the swing motion.
- Drive via your heels to face tall, pushing your hips ahead as you squeeze your glutes to swing the dumbbell up. Aim for shoulder top, with arms prolonged out away from the physique. Think lengthy, unfastened arms (your arms are only a automobile for shifting the burden, your hips and glutes generate the facility).
- As the dumbbell begins to descend, consider catching the burden with a hip hinge, loading the glutes and hamstrings.
Pin This Workout: 10-Minute Hamstring Workout (5 Hamstring Exercises)
This put up consists of affiliate hyperlinks. I do earn a fee for merchandise bought utilizing these hyperlinks (at no extra value to you). Thank you for supporting Nourish Move Love, making the content material you see on this weblog doable.