Build energy within the two largest muscle teams within the physique: the legs and again! Eight compound workouts mixed to focus on the hamstrings, glutes, quads, hips, lats, traps and rhomboids. These are huge, highly effective muscle teams – which implies that coaching them collectively is an environment friendly method to construct muscle at dwelling.
LET’S GET STARTED
Download Your FREE Strong 20 Workout Plan
Download the PDF calendar for this Free 2-Week Functional Strength Training Plan — 20 minutes a day, 5 days every week.Download Plan
Build a robust decrease physique and again with this all energy exercise – no squat rack, pull up bar or leg press machine wanted. This dumbbell-only exercise is proof you may construct energy at dwelling in much less time than it might take to commute to the health club.
The first day of our Functional Strength Training Program focuses on the 2 largest muscle teams within the physique: the legs and again.
The legs and again are two huge, highly effective muscle teams. They work collectively to carry out a lot of our every day actions: squatting, lifting, bending and pulling.
Pick up your heavy weights – this all energy exercise combines multi-joint and multi-muscle actions to successfully construct muscle, improve endurance and enhance every day motion patterns.
Leg and Back Workout FAQs
Your again and legs are the 2 largest muscle teams in your physique. Training legs and again collectively strengthens core muscle tissues (which additionally improves steadiness, low again ache and assists with every day actions) and maximizes muscle constructing and calorie burn (energy coaching massive muscle teams burns energy for hours after your exercise).
This exercise targets the decrease physique (quads, hamstrings, hips, glutes and calves) in addition to the again muscle tissues (latissimus dorsi, trapezius, levator scapulae and rhomboids). The compound actions additionally goal the core muscle tissues (transverse abdominis, inner and exterior obliques, erector spinae, diaphragm, pelvic flooring muscle tissues, and rectus abdominis).
20-Minute Leg and Back Workout
Strong 20: Day 1
Build energy within the two largest muscle teams within the physique, utilizing only a set of dumbbells.
This useful energy exercise combines the most effective decrease physique workouts and again workouts to focus on the muscle tissues that help your physique by means of all of your every day actions.
I counsel doing this legs and again exercise as soon as every week as a part of a well-rounded exercise routine.
A medium-to-heavy set of dumbbells.
I like to recommend 8-30 lbs relying in your health degree. We’re utilizing 10-20 lb dumbbells on this exercise. The final 2-3 reps of every train needs to be difficult to finish with good type.
Shop My Extra-Large Yoga Mat
DISCOUNT CODE: NourishMoveLove
Follow together with the guided Leg and Back Workout At Home on YouTube, led by licensed private coach and health teacher, Lindsey Bomgren.
Your Workout Looks Like This:
- 2 Circuits (3 workouts per circuit)
- Timed Intervals (40 seconds work, 20 seconds relaxation. Complete as many reps as you may within the timed interval).
- Repeat Each Circuit x2 Sets
- Burnout Finisher (2 strikes; 1 minute per transfer)
- Staggered Deadlift and Clean Squat
- 5 Back Rows and Squat Switch Hands
- Single Leg Deadlift Hinge and Single Arm Row
- Split Lunge
- Back Fly
- Split Lunge Hold, 2 Back Flys and a couple of Back Foot Tap In’s
- Row (Right), Row (Left) and Clean Squat
- Glute Bridge and Dumbbell Pullover
8 Best Leg and Back Exercises
Staggered Deadlift and Clean Squat
Targets: Glutes, hamstrings, hips, quads, calves, trapezius, deltoids, decrease again, abs and core.
A complete physique powerlifting train will get the guts charge up whereas strengthening a number of main muscle teams in your physique.
How To Do A Staggered Deadlift and Clean Squat
- Start standing with toes shoulder width aside, holding a dumbbell in your left hand. Stagger your toes, so your proper leg is barely in entrance of your left foot. Kickstand your again left foot, left heel floating off the bottom. Keep 80% of your weight in your entrance foot, 20% in your again left toe.
- Maintain a staggered stance as you hinge on the hips. Push your hips again in the direction of the wall behind you as you glide the dumbbell down the entrance of your legs; core tight.
- Then, drive by means of your heels to face tall, bringing your left foot parallel to your proper foot.
- As you stand, deliver the dumbbell up in the direction of your chest (that is the “clean” portion of the clear squat).
- Lower down right into a squat place, reducing your hips down parallel to your knees. Drive your knees out towards your outer three toes. Keep the dumbbell up at chest degree (front-racked).
- Drive by means of your heels to face tall once more, discovering a staggered stance once more by stepping your left foot again. That’s one rep.
- Lower the dumbbells again to the beginning place and repeat this sequence of 1 staggered deadlift and one clear squat.
Modification: Follow Rachel (on the left) and omit the clear portion of the motion. Rather carry out one deadlift and one squat; dumbbells stay at your sides your complete time.
Back Rows and Squat Switch Hands
Targets: The latissimus dorsi (or lats, the most important again muscle), quads, hamstrings and glutes. This unilateral train additionally engages the bicep and core.
How To Do Back Rows and Squat Switch Hands
- Stand along with your toes barely wider than shoulder-width aside, knees barely bent.
- Hold a dumbbell in your proper hand, palm in in the direction of the midline of your physique (slim grip).
- Hinge ahead on the hips sustaining a flat again, stomach button pulled again in the direction of your backbone.
- Pull the dumbbell again in the direction of your proper hip (consider pulling out of your elbow joint versus your wrist), as in the event you had been beginning a pull-start lawnmower. Stop as soon as your elbow is consistent with your rib cage, making a straight line from shoulder to elbow. Hold the row on the high for a second squeezing your shoulder blade in.
- With management, decrease the dumbbell again to the beginning place and repeat, finishing 5 rows on the proper facet.
- Then, carry out a squat by sitting your hips again, reducing in order that thighs are parallel to the mat. Place the dumbbell on the mat between your toes.
- Switch arms, selecting up the dumbbell in your left hand earlier than urgent by means of your heels to rise, returning to a hinged place, knees bent.
- Pull the dumbbell in the direction of your left hip, then decrease with management. Repeat, finishing 5 rows on the left facet.
- Repeat this sample, alternating 5 again rows with a squat set-down to modify arms.
Single Leg Deadlift Hinge and Single Arm Row
Targets: Legs, hamstrings, glutes, hips, decrease again, mid-back, arms, biceps, shoulders, abs and core.
How To Do A Single Leg Deadlift Hinge and Single Arm Row
- Start standing with toes hip-width aside, knees barely bent. Transfer your weight into your proper foot and kickstand or float your left foot off the bottom, balancing in your proper leg. Option so as to add steadiness help by turning an extra dumbbell on its head and resting your left fingers on it.
- Hold one dumbbell in your proper hand (reverse hand as balancing leg), palm dealing with the midline of your physique.
- With your proper knee bent, hinge at your hips extending your left leg lengthy behind you as you decrease the dumbbell down in the direction of the bottom, balancing in your proper leg. Keep your hips sq. to the mat. You ought to really feel a great stretch in your proper hamstring (again of your proper leg) on the backside of this motion. Range of movement appears completely different for everybody.
- Hold this single leg deadlift place, then carry out a single arm row by pulling the dumbbell again towards your proper hip.
- Lower the dumbbell with management, then repeat.
Modification: Follow Rachel (on the left), omitting the one leg float and as an alternative performing a staggered deadlift row.
Targets: Quads, thighs, hamstrings, glutes, calves and core.
How To Do A Split Lunge (Or Split Squat)
- Stand with toes hip-distance aside. Hold a dumbbell in every hand at your sides.
- Step your proper leg again right into a reverse lunge, dropping your proper knee down in the direction of the bottom as you decrease your hips till each knees attain a 90-degree angle, entrance thigh is parallel to the ground.
- Then squeeze your left glute, retaining the burden in your entrance (left) heel as you push again as much as a standing place.
Targets: The posterior deltoids (rear shoulders), and main higher again muscle tissues together with the rhomboids and trapezius.
How To Do A Back Fly
- Stand along with your toes barely wider than shoulder-width aside, knees barely bent.
- Grip a set of dumbbells, palms dealing with in in the direction of one another.
- Hinge ahead on the hips till your physique is in a straight line.
- Open your arms, elevating the dumbbells till they arrive consistent with your shoulders as you squeeze your shoulder blades collectively.
- Control the dumbbells again down. Return to the beginning place, attempting to not let the dumbbells contact on the backside. Think up on a 1 depend, down sluggish and managed on a 2 depend.
Split Lunge Hold, 2 Back Flys and a couple of Back Foot Tap In’s
Targets: Legs, glutes, hips, hamstrings, quads, calves, shoulders, again (lats), abs and core.
How To Do A Split Lunge Hold, Two Back Flys and Two Back Foot Tap Ins
- Stand with toes hip-distance aside. Hold a dumbbell in every hand at your sides, palms dealing with in in the direction of one another.
- Step your left leg again right into a reverse lunge, dropping your left knee down in the direction of the bottom as you decrease your hips, staying low in each legs.
- Hold this low lunge place as you carry out a again fly, squeezing your shoulder blades collectively as your arms speak in confidence to the edges. Lower with management, then repeat; performing two again flys.
- Then, keep low in your entrance leg as you faucet your left toes in to fulfill your proper foot, earlier than tapping it again. Repeat, performing two toe tap-ins.
Row (Right), Row (Left) and Clean Squat
Targets: Legs, glutes, hamstrings, quads, again and core.
How To Do A Row (Right), Row (Left) and Clean Squat
- Stand along with your toes barely wider than shoulder-width aside, knees barely bent. Hold a dumbbell in every hand, palms dealing with in in the direction of one another.
- Hinge ahead on the hips, then “row” the dumbbell in your proper hand, pulling the dumbbell again in the direction of your proper hip. Stop as soon as your elbow is consistent with your rib cage, making a straight line from shoulder to elbow. Lower the dumbbell with management.
- Repeat on the left facet, pulling your left elbow in the direction of your ribcage to carry out a again row on the left. Then decrease the dumbbell with management.
- Return to standing, “cleaning” the dumbbells up in the direction of your shoulders. Think about “getting under” the dumbbells to catch it — this can be a dumbbell clear. Catch the dumbbells at your chest.
- Bend your knees to decrease down right into a squat, pushing your knees out in the direction of your outer three toes as you drop your hips parallel to your knees.
- Drive by means of your heels to return to standing.
Modification: Follow Rachel (on the left) and omit the clear portion of the motion. Rather carry out two again rows and one squat; dumbbells stay at your sides your complete time.
Glute Bridge and Dumbbell Pullover
Targets: Glutes, hamstrings, lats (latissimus dorsi) and pecs (pectoralis main and pectoralis minor) whereas additionally concentrating on the core and abs for stability.
Holding a glute bridge is a good way to extend the time beneath pressure and isolate the gluteus maximus.
How To Do A Glute Bridge and Dumbbell Pullover
- Lie flay in your again along with your legs bent at 90 levels (heels on the bottom). Hold one dumbbell horizontally between your arms, arms prolonged overhead.
- Drive by means of your heels, squeezing your butt to raise your hips up towards the ceiling. Perform an isometric maintain on the high of your glute bridge.
- Maintaining straight arms, with a slight bend within the elbows, slowly decrease the dumbbell overhead in the direction of the bottom. Fully extending whereas attempting to maintain your low again pressed into the mat/floor.
- Then pull the dumbbell again overhead, partaking the lats, to return again to the beginning place.
Modification: Place your shoulders on a bench or train ball in the event you aren’t snug mendacity in your again.
A 2-week, useful coaching program designed that will help you really feel stronger and transfer higher – in simply 20 minutes a day.
If you preferred this leg and again exercise at dwelling, obtain the FREE, 2-Week Full Body Workout Plan.
Pin This Workout: Leg and Back Workout (Strong 20 Day 1)
More Leg and Back Workouts At Home:
This put up consists of affiliate hyperlinks. I do earn a fee for merchandise bought utilizing these hyperlinks (at no further price to you). Thank you for supporting Nourish Move Love, making the content material you see on this weblog attainable.