Strong 20 (Functional Strength)
Build robust, outlined again and arm muscle mass with this 20-Minute Back and Arm Workout. Seven higher physique workouts with dumbbells to burn out the again in a difficult, 20-minute arm exercise.
LET’S GET STARTED
Download Your FREE Strong 20 Workout Plan
Download the PDF calendar for this Free 2-Week Functional Strength Training Plan — 20 minutes a day, 5 days every week.
This is the seventh day of our Functional Strength Training Program. An entire higher physique exercise with an additional emphasis on the biggest muscle group within the higher physique: the again.
Each circuit in in the present day’s exercise incorporates a back-focused train in addition to one train that targets the again plus a further muscle group — chest, shoulders, triceps, and biceps.
Pick up your heavy weights: this exercise makes use of quick relaxation occasions and heavy energy workouts to attain muscle progress in simply 20 minutes.
Back and Arm Workout FAQs
The again is the biggest muscle group within the higher physique, however you typically use different arm muscle mass, just like the biceps and shoulders, to help with again workouts. Training these muscle teams collectively is an efficient option to construct muscle within the higher physique as an entire.
Dumbbell arm workouts have many advantages. The again is a big, highly effective muscle group: which implies coaching it's an efficient calorie-burner as nicely. Adding in accent arm workouts rounds out the exercise and prevents overtraining one muscle group.
20-Minute Back and Arm Workout
Strong 20: Day 7
Build higher physique energy — particularly focusing on the again — on this fast and efficient again and arm exercise at residence.
Today’s exercise is made up of seven dumbbell energy coaching workouts designed to focus on the again and arm muscle mass from a number of angles to create energy and definition.
I recommend doing this arm and again exercise with weights as soon as every week as a part of a well-rounded exercise routine.
A medium-to-heavy set of dumbbells.
I like to recommend 8-30 lbs relying in your health stage. We’re utilizing 10-20 lb dumbbells on this exercise. The final 2-3 reps of every train ought to be difficult to finish with good kind.
Shop My Dumbbells
We’re utilizing 10, 15 and 20 lb dumbbells on this arm exercise.
Click Here To Shop
Follow together with the guided Back and Arm Workout on YouTube, led by licensed private coach, Lindsey Bomgren.
Your Workout Looks Like This:
- 3 Circuits (2-3 higher physique workouts per circuit)
- Timed Intervals (30 seconds of labor, 10 seconds of relaxation)
- Repeat Each Circuit x3 Sets
CIRCUIT ONE: Back and Chest
- Single Arm Back Fly
- Standing Chest Fly
CIRCUIT TWO: Back and Shoulders
- Upright Rows
- Row, Clean and Press
CIRCUIT THREE: Back, Biceps and Triceps
- Back Row and Tricep Kickback
- Dumbbell Pullover and Two Skull Crushers
- Kneeling Half Bicep Curls
7 Back and Arm Exercises at Home
Single Arm Back Fly
Targets: The rear delts (rear shoulders), and main higher again muscle mass together with the rhomboids and trapezius.
This can also be an ideal train for constructing core stability and energy.
How To Do A Single Arm Back Fly
- Stand along with your ft hip-width aside, knees barely bent. Option to maintain ft parallel or take a barely staggered stance to raised assist your low again (stepping your left leg barely behind your proper leg).
- Hold one dumbbell in your proper hand at your proper hip; palm going through in.
- Hinge ahead on the hips, and pull the dumbbell out to the fitting facet of your physique, as much as shoulder-height. Keep a comfortable bend in your proper elbow and squeeze your proper shoulder blade.
- Lower the dumbbell again to the beginning place with management.
Modification: Option to position your non-working hand on a chair or bench for extra core and stability assist.
Standing Chest Fly
Targets: Chest (pectoralis main, pectoralis minor and the serratus anterior) and shoulders.
This difficult higher physique transfer additionally engages the stabilizing muscle mass in your core and backbone.
How To Do A Standing Chest Fly
- Stand along with your ft shoulder width aside, knees barely bent.
- Hold one dumbbell in every hand at your sides; palms going through out away from the physique. Shoulder blades pulled down in the direction of your hips.
- Squeeze your chest as you elevate your proper hand throughout your physique (45-degree angle crossover); parallel to your left shoulder. Think “right pinky finger to left shoulder.” Palm up in the direction of the ceiling.
- Keep a comfortable bend in your elbow as you decrease the dumbbell again to beginning place with management.
- Repeat on the left hand, bringing left pinky to the fitting shoulder.
Targets: Shoulders and again. The upright dumbbell row particularly hits the trapezius and rhomboids (higher again muscle mass).
How To Do An Upright Row
- Start with ft hip width aside, holding dumbbells in your palms. Palms going through in in the direction of your physique.
- Leading along with your elbows, pull the dumbbells up till your elbows attain shoulder peak. As you pull the dumbbells up, consider pulling your shoulder blades down. Be certain to maintain the dumbbells near your physique as you pull them upwards.
- With management, decrease the dumbbells again right down to beginning place.
Row, Clean and Press
Targets: Shoulders, core, again and biceps.
How To Do A Row, Clean and Press
- Start standing with ft hip-width aside, knees barely bent. Hold one dumbbell in your proper hand.
- Squeeze your again to tug your proper elbow in the direction of your rib cage, performing a single arm bent over row. Lower the dumbbell with management.
- Then, return to a standing place. As you stand, curl the dumbbell in your proper hand to your proper shoulder, performing a single arm hammer curl.
- Then, press your proper arm overhead, performing a single arm shoulder press.
- Lower the dumbbell again to the beginning place and repeat.
Back Row and Tricep Kickback
Targets: Back and triceps. A slim grip for the again rows particularly targets the lats, or latissimus dorsi muscle in your again.
How To Do A Back Row and Tricep Kickback
- Start standing ft hip-distance aside, holding a dumbbell in every hand, palms going through in in the direction of one another (slim grip).
- Hinge ahead on the hips till your physique is in a straight line, neck according to your backbone, flat again, and stomach button pulled again in the direction of your backbone.
- Pull your elbows again in the direction of your hips, stopping when your elbows are according to your ribcage.
- Hold on the high of the again row, then carry out a tricep kickback on the fitting arm by extending the fitting elbow so your proper arm varieties a straight line as you push the dumbbell again previous your hips.
- With management, bend your elbow to return the dumbbell in your proper hand to your hip.
- Then repeat on the left, performing a tricep kickback along with your left arm.
Dumbbell Pullover and Two Skull Crushers
Targets: Mainly the lats (latissimus dorsi) and pecs (pectoralis main and pectoralis minor) whereas additionally focusing on the core and abs for stability.
How To Do A Dumbbell Pullover and Two Skull Crushers
- Start mendacity in your again, with legs bent at 90 levels, holding a dumbbell in every hand with arms prolonged overhead. Bring the heads of the dumbbells collectively to the touch.
- Keep your arms straight, with a slight bend within the elbows, as you slowly decrease the dumbbells overhead in the direction of the bottom. Fully lengthen your arms whereas making an attempt to maintain your low again pressed into the mat/floor.
- Then pull the dumbbells again overhead, partaking the latissimus dorsi, to return again to the beginning place.
- Separate the dumbbells, palms shoulder width aside
- Then, bend at your elbows and slowly decrease weights in the direction of your temples, performing a cranium crusher.
- Squeeze via the again of your arms to straighten your elbows and return the dumbbells overhead. Repeat twice.
Modification: maintain one dumbbell horizontally between each palms fairly than utilizing two dumbbells.
Kneeling Half Bicep Curls
Targets: Biceps (entrance of the higher arm).
Performing this train from a kneeling place makes it tougher by eradicating any energy or “cheating” your decrease physique would possibly present; isolating the higher physique.
How To Do Kneeling Half Bicep Curls
- Start in an kneeling place, hips over knees, core engaged. Hold a dumbbell in every hand, palms going through out away from the physique (underhand grip or supine curl).
- Keeping your elbows locked by your sides, carry out a half bicep curl, curling the weights as much as round stomach button peak. Pause on the high to carry each arms at a 90-degree angle.
- Then, slowly decrease the dumbbells with management, returning the weights to your thighs.
Modification: carry out customary standing bicep curls fairly than kneeling.
A 2-week, useful coaching program designed that can assist you really feel stronger and transfer higher – in simply 20 minutes a day.
If you preferred this again and arms exercise at residence, obtain the FREE, 2-Week Full Body Workout Plan.
Pin This Workout: Back and Arm Workout (Strong 20 Day 7)
More Upper Body Workouts At Home:
This put up consists of affiliate hyperlinks. I do earn a fee for merchandise bought utilizing these hyperlinks (at no further price to you). Thank you for supporting Nourish Move Love, making the content material you see on this weblog doable.