The 10 BEST decrease physique workouts with dumbbells and bands! Hamstrings, quads, glutes and calves – we’re hitting each main muscle group within the decrease physique in simply half-hour.
This is a sponsored submit in partnership with NOW®. Keep studying for extra details about my sports activities vitamin and prenatal complement routine.
Level up your LEG DAY with these 10 BEST decrease physique workouts that get outcomes!
A decrease physique STRENGTH exercise you are able to do at residence with a set of dumbbells and non-obligatory resistance band.
And as a result of we obtain messages and emails day by day about individuals scuffling with lunges hurting their knees — this decrease physique exercise incorporates the entire finest leg workouts, NO lunges.
These 10 finest decrease physique workouts additionally make a GREAT being pregnant leg exercise; particularly in the event you battle with SPD/pelvic girdle ache and try to keep away from lunges or single leg workouts.
Lower Body Exercises FAQs
Squats, lunges, deadlifts, hip thrusts — the most effective decrease physique workouts are compound actions that focus on a number of muscle teams. Pair these compound workouts with complimentary isolation workouts like abductor pulses and calf raises. The result's an environment friendly muscle-building exercise that targets BOTH the bigger leg muscle tissues and smaller stabilizing muscle tissues.
When structuring a leg exercise, I like to incorporate hip-dominant workouts (deadlifts, RDLs, swings) that focus on the posterior chain or hamstrings, glutes and low again. And knee-dominant workouts (squats and lunges) that focus on the anterior chain or legs, thighs, quads and core. This retains your exercise balanced and ensures you’re hitting all the key muscle teams on the entrance aspect and bottom of the physique.
YES! I filmed these 10 finest leg workouts for freshmen in my second trimester of being pregnant. While this leg exercise is difficult for anybody; it particularly makes a terrific being pregnant leg exercise.
10 BEST Lower Body Exercises
All you want is a set of dumbbells and an non-obligatory resistance band to construct a powerful decrease physique at residence.
These are the ten finest decrease physique workouts with weights; no fancy health club tools or barbell wanted.
I counsel including this leg exercise to your exercise routine 1-2 instances every week for finest outcomes. Strive to extend your weights every time you repeat this exercise.
Medium to Heavy Dumbbells.
I’m utilizing 15-20 lbs. Option so as to add a bench or chair in addition to a mini loop resistance band.
Follow together with the guided, 30-Minute Lower Body Workout (No Lunges) on YouTube, led by private coach Lindsey Bomgren.
Your Workout Looks Like This:
- 10 Best Lower Body Exercises
- Reps and Timed Intervals (16 reps per train in set one and 14 reps per train in set two; OR 40 seconds of labor for some workouts accomplished in timed intervals)
- Repeat All 10 Lower Body Exercises x2 Sets
Lower Body Workout with Weights Outline
1. Good Morning
2. Back Squat
3. Banded Lateral Walks
4. Alternating Squat Thruster
5. Goblet Squat
6. Seated Abductor Pulse
7. Sumo Squat and Clean Squat
8. Deadlift and Calf Raise
9. Hand Switch Lateral Squat
10. Squat Jacks
10 BEST Lower Body Exercises At Home
Targets: Hamstrings, gluteus maximus, erector spinae and decrease again muscle tissues.
Good morning workouts are a good way to enhance your hip-hinging kind. An excellent decrease physique train for freshmen to grasp previous to engaged on deadlifts.
How To Do A Good Morning
- Start in a standing place, toes shoulder-width aside, core engaged, fingers positioned behind your head. Option so as to add weight by resting one dumbbell, horizontally, in your higher again, neck and shoulders. Holding every head of the dumbbell with one hand.
- With a slight bend in your knees, hinge ahead on the hips till your torso is parallel to the bottom. Core engaged and backbone impartial (again flat).
- You ought to really feel a stretch in your hamstrings (again of the legs) on the backside of the motion.
- Reverse the motion, driving via your heels to face tall, returning to beginning place (torso upright).
Targets: Glutes, hamstrings, quads, decrease again and core muscle tissues.
What is the distinction between a again squat and entrance squat? Back squats goal extra of the posterior chain, or the again of your physique (decrease again, glutes and hamstrings). Whereas, entrance squats goal extra of the anterior chain, or the entrance of your physique (quads and higher again).
How To Do A Back Squat
- Start in a standing place, toes hip-width aside or barely wider, core engaged. Place one dumbbell, horizontally, in your higher again, neck and shoulders. Holding every head of the dumbbell with one hand.
- With chest up, decrease down right into a squat, pushing your hips again and down until your hips align together with your knees (making a 90-degree angle together with your hips and knees). Knees push out in direction of your outer three toes.
- Then exhale as you drive via your heels, squeezing your glutes to face tall and return to the beginning place.
Banded Lateral Walks
Targets: Glutes, particularly the gluteus medius (the outer a part of your butt used for side-to-side actions), quads, hamstrings, and hip abductors.
A GREAT train to construct robust and wholesome hips and knees.
How To Do Banded Lateral Walks
- Place a resistance band six inches above your knees. Stand together with your toes barely wider than your hips to create pressure throughout the band (activating your glutes).
- Bend your knees to decrease down right into a loaded squat place. Weight in heels, chest up.
- Hold this loaded squat place as you are taking one lateral step to your proper; stretching the band so far as you may.
- Tap your left foot in, bringing it in direction of your proper foot, sustaining a low squat place.
- Then, step out together with your left leg, sustaining pressure throughout the band earlier than bringing your proper leg to the left to fulfill your outdoors foot.
Alternating Squat Thrusters
Targets: Legs, glutes, hamstring, quads, hips, shoulders, abs and core.
Squat thrusts can add a cardio factor to your leg exercises, rising your coronary heart fee.
How To Do Alternating Squat Thrusters
- Start standing, toes shoulder-width aside, knees barely bent. Hold one dumbbell in every hand at your shoulders (front-rack place, overhand grip, palms going through in).
- With your weight in your heels, sit your hips again as you decrease right into a squat, striving for a 90-degree angle between your hips and knees.
- Then, drive via your heels, squeezing your glutes to face tall. As you stand, carry out a single arm squat thruster, urgent the dumbbell in your proper hand straight overhead.
- Bring the burden again all the way down to shoulder peak and carry out one other squat.
- This time, as you stand, alternate to carry out a squat and single arm thruster on the left arm.
Goblet Squat To Bench
Targets: Legs, glutes, quads, hips adductors and abductors and core.
How To Do A Goblet Squat To Bench
- Start standing about one foot in entrance of a chair or bench; toes shoulder-width aside. Hold one dumbbell vertically at your chest in a goblet-hold.
- Bend your knees and sit your hips again in direction of the bench (as if sitting down in a chair).
- Once your butt reaches the bench, with legs bent at 90 levels, relaxation your butt on the bench for a second. Simultaneously, elevate your heels off the bottom for a second.
- Then, re-plant your toes on the bottom and press via your heels to face tall, driving your hips ahead to return to standing.
Seated Abductor Pulse
Targets: Hip abductor muscle tissues (which incorporates the gluteus medius, gluteus minimus, and tensor fasciae latae or TFL).
How To Do A Seated Abductor Pulse
- Start sitting on a chair or bench, knees bent at 90 levels, toes flat on the bottom.
- Place a resistance band about six inches above your knees to extend depth.
- Push your knees out away out of your physique, stretching the band till you're feeling your outer glutes and hips working.
- Then with management, convey your knees again to beginning place earlier than pulsing out once more.
Sumo Squat and Clean Squat
Targets: Legs, glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings, hip flexors, adductors (inside thighs) and core.
How To Do A Sumo Squat and Clean Squat
- Start in a large stance, toes outdoors of hips, heels in and toes identified (sumo squat stance). Hold one dumbbell horizontally in your fingers between your legs.
- Bend your knees to decrease down right into a sumo squat, pushing your knees out in direction of your outer three toes as you drop your hips parallel to your knees.
- Pause for a second on the backside of your sumo squat, then drive via your heels, squeezing your glutes and inside thighs to return to standing.
- As you come back to standing, ‘clean’ the dumbbell up in direction of your shoulders. Think about “getting under” the dumbbell to catch it — this can be a dumbbell clear.
- Then, decrease your hips all the way down to carry out one other sumo squat, this time holding the dumbbell at your chest.
Deadlift and Calf Raise
Targets: The posterior chain or bottom of the physique. Specifically focusing on the hamstrings, glutes, hips, calves, decrease again and core.
How To Do A Deadlift And Calf Raise
- Start standing toes shoulder-width aside and knees barely bent. Hold a dumbbell in every hand at your thighs (overhand grip, palms face your physique).
- Hinge ahead on the hips, pushing your hips again as you decrease the dumbbells down alongside the entrance of your physique. You ought to really feel a stretch behind your legs (hamstrings). Focus on preserving your again in impartial alignment together with your neck and shoulders all through your complete motion (straight line from head to tailbone). Keep a slight bend in your knees to keep away from ‘locking out’ the joint.
- Then, drive via your heels, squeezing your glutes as you drive your hips ahead to return to standing.
- As you stand tall, carry out a calf elevate; lifting your heels off the bottom.
- Lower your heels again to the mat to return to the beginning place with toes flat on the bottom.
Hand Switch Lateral Squats
Targets: Glutes (gluteus medius), quads, hip adductors (inside thighs), hamstrings and core.
How To Do A Hand Switch Lateral Squat
- Start standing, toes wider than shoulder-width (lateral squat stance), with toes going through ahead or barely turned out. Hold one dumbbell in your left hand.
- Sit your hips again, bending your proper knee whereas leaving your left leg straight. Think of performing a single leg squat together with your proper leg whereas your left leg stays straight. Dumbbell involves the within of the fitting foot; knees and toes are pointing ahead.
- Then, drive off your proper foot to reverse the motion, pushing again to middle. As you hit middle, swap the dumbbell to your proper hand.
- Immediately push to the left aspect, bending your left knee whereas leaving your proper leg straight. This time, consider performing a single leg squat together with your left leg whereas your proper leg stays straight.
- Repeat alternating the hand swap lateral squat.
Targets: Glutes, quads, hamstrings, hips and calves.
Squat jacks are a lower-body power and energy train that improves hip mobility and cardiovascular endurance.
How To Do Squat Jacks
- Start in a standing place toes hip-width aside, core engaged, shoulders over hips.
- “Jack” your toes out broad as you drop your butt down into a large squat. Aim to convey your fingers to the touch the bottom if that’s out there to you.
- Explosively stand tall, squeezing your inside thighs as you “jack” your legs again collectively, and return to standing.
- Think, broad on the backside, slim on the high.
Modification: Option to make this low affect leg train by omitting the leaping jack and as a substitute performing side-to-side squat faucet downs.
I’ve used and cherished NOW® merchandise for years (and thru all three of my pregnancies).
As a health-conscious and lively household, I put numerous worth into the standard of the merchandise we’re consuming each day.
Enter NOW® sports activities vitamin and dietary supplements — high quality merchandise at an inexpensive worth level.
My TOP 3 NOW® Supplements for Pregnancy:
- Prenatal Gels + DHA – I’ve been taking these prenatal nutritional vitamins for the previous six years; whereas pregnant, nursing, making an attempt to get pregnant, and many others. I exploit them as my day by day ‘women’s multi-vitamin’. They are filled with nutritional vitamins and minerals that my physique can use whether or not I’m pregnant, nursing, or simply being a girl.
- Vitamin D – for immune system assist.* And to assist keep robust bones. I personally take these Vitamin D Softgels and use this Liquid Vitamin D-3 for the children (it comes with an incredible drop dispenser for infants, infants and toddlers too).
- Vitamin B-6 – Studies counsel that taking vitamin B6 for infrequent morning illness tremendously improves gentle nausea for a lot of pregnant ladies (University of Michigan Health).*
Other NOW® Sports Nutrition and Beauty Products I Use During Pregnancy:
- ZMA® Capsules — a mix of zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6 that I take earlier than mattress. Designed to maximise absorption and to advertise restoration from train.*
- Vitamin E Cream – the MVP in relation to stretched pores and skin, scars and patchy dry pores and skin areas! It’s wealthy in antioxidants and may also help moisturize the pores and skin. It additionally is available in a Vitamin E-Oil kind in the event you favor oils to lotions.
*Promo code legitimate via 12/31/2022.
This is a sponsored submit in partnership with NOW®. All phrases and opinions are my very own. Thank you for supporting Nourish Move Love, making the content material you see on this weblog potential.